You can install Miller for various platforms as follows.
Download a binary:
- You can get binaries for several platforms on the releases page.
- You can get latest (head) builds for Linux, MacOS, and Windows by visiting https://github.com/johnkerl/miller/actions, selecting the latest build, and clicking Artifacts. (These are retained for 5 days after each commit.)
- See also the build page if you prefer to build from source.
Using a package manager:
yum install milleror
apt-get install millerdepending on your flavor of Linux, or Homebrew.
brew install miller, or
sudo port selfupdateand
sudo port install miller, depending on your preference of Homebrew or MacPorts.
choco install millerusing Chocolatey.
- Note: Miller 6 was released 2022-01-09; several platforms may have Miller 5 available.
- @jauderho's docker images as discussed in GitHub Discussions
- Example invocation:
docker run --rm -i jauderho/miller:latest --csv sort -f shape < ./example.csv
- Example invocation:
Note that the Miller releases page,
conda tend to have current versions;
apt-get may have outdate versions depending on your platform.
As a first check, you should be able to run
mlr --version at your system's command prompt and see something like the following:
A note on documentation:
- If you downloaded the Miller binary from a tagged release, or installed it using a package manager, you should see a version like
mlr 5.10.3-- please see the release docs page to find the documentation for your version.
- If you installed from source or using a recent build artifact from GitHub Actions, you should see a version like
mlr 6.0.0-dev-- https://miller.readthedocs.io is the correct reference, since it contains information for the latest contributions to the Miller repository.
As a second check, given example.csv you should be able to do
mlr --csv cat example.csv
color,shape,flag,k,index,quantity,rate yellow,triangle,true,1,11,43.6498,9.8870 red,square,true,2,15,79.2778,0.0130 red,circle,true,3,16,13.8103,2.9010 red,square,false,4,48,77.5542,7.4670 purple,triangle,false,5,51,81.2290,8.5910 red,square,false,6,64,77.1991,9.5310 purple,triangle,false,7,65,80.1405,5.8240 yellow,circle,true,8,73,63.9785,4.2370 yellow,circle,true,9,87,63.5058,8.3350 purple,square,false,10,91,72.3735,8.2430
mlr --icsv --opprint cat example.csv
color shape flag k index quantity rate yellow triangle true 1 11 43.6498 9.8870 red square true 2 15 79.2778 0.0130 red circle true 3 16 13.8103 2.9010 red square false 4 48 77.5542 7.4670 purple triangle false 5 51 81.2290 8.5910 red square false 6 64 77.1991 9.5310 purple triangle false 7 65 80.1405 5.8240 yellow circle true 8 73 63.9785 4.2370 yellow circle true 9 87 63.5058 8.3350 purple square false 10 91 72.3735 8.2430
If you run into issues on these checks, please check out the resources on the community page for help.
Otherwise, let's go on to Miller in 10 minutes!